2016-2017 School Year
Re-assessments for the G&T Spring Session will take place after all in-district Winter Renaissance Assessments have been completed with homeroom teachers. Please review the following information before determining if re-assessment is something you would like your child to participate in if your child received a letter.
Measures used to qualify for the Gifted and Talented Program:
- Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT):
- Grades 3 - 4: Verbal & Non-Verbal
- Grades 5 - 6: Verbal, Non-Verbal, Quantitative
- Renaissance Assessments - Math & Reading
Qualifications for Gifted and Talented Spring Session:
- Two scores must be a score of 90th Percentile Rank or higher
- Remaining scores must all be 80th Percentile Rank or higher
- Only CogAT assessments not meeting these benchmarks in the fall will be re-assessed* (no qualifying scores from the Fall will be lost via re-assessments)
*Some examples follow:
- If my child's scores were Cog At Verbal-96, CogAT NonVerbal-79, Renaissance Reading-84 and Renaissance Math-95, then only NonVerbal CogAT would be re-administered.
- If my child's scores were Cog At Verbal-63, CogAT NonVerbal-54, Renaissance Reading-84 and Renaissance Math-96, then both parts of the CogAT would be re-administered, however one score would need to improve to a score of 90+, while the other inproves to at least a score of 80+ to meet the above qualifications.
- If my child's scores were Cog At Verbal-63, CogAT NonVerbal-54, Renaissance Reading-84 and Renaissance Math-86, then both parts of the CogAT would be re-administered, however both scores would need to improve to reach the benchmark of 90+.
Please visit the "Trying the CogAT . . ." page for more information on these assessments.
What do my child's previous scores have to do with re-assessment?
Please consider your child's previous scores, their personality and expectations, looking at patterns, growth onthese assessments and achievable goals before electing them to undergo re-assessment.
Letters for Spring 2017 Re-assessments are due back on the following dates:
- Franklin School-
- Jefferson School-
- Kennedy School-
- Nixon School-
- Lincoln Roosevelt School-
*Due to the nature of my schedule and ongoing program, letters returned after these dates will not be considered for further evaluation.