REFLECTIONS is a nation-wide arts appreciation and recognition program for students. It is sponsored by the National PTA, and it takes place in the Fall. Every year there is a new theme for the competition, which is chosen from student suggested ideas. The theme for the 2017-18 school year is: “Within Reach”
It is very important, that the art works relate to the theme! The participants need to write a 10-100 word artist statement to go with their art piece, which tells the judges how the theme inspired their art work, or how their art work is related to the theme.
Final submission deadline: November 20, 2017. Those that submit a Reflection will have pizza with Mrs. Cosgrove!
Students may submit entries in the following categories (summary of rules attached):
- Visual Arts (Drawing, painting, etc)
- Film Production
- Music Composition
- Dance Choreography
- Special Artist
Grade Divisions: Student may enter the National PTA Reflections Program in the appropriate division for their grade.
- Primary: Preschool – Grade 2
- Intermediate: Grades 3 – 5
- Middle School: Grades 6 – 8
- Special Artist: Ungraded
Every child who enters the competition at our school will be recognized. This is a great chance for kids to express themselves artistically!
Choreograph a dance, produce a film, write a poem or story, compose a song, take a picture, or create a piece of visual art and tell us your interpretation of the theme: “Within Reach”.
Discover your world and explore new cultures or your own through dance, film, literature, music, photography, or visual arts. No experience is required to participate in Reflections! Choose the arts category you’re interested in, create an original piece of artwork based on the theme, and be recognized as an artist in your community.
The top three entries in each category and grade division will continue on to the District Level to compete against entries from other schools. Students may enter multiple times and in multiple categories. We look forward to enjoying the creativity of our very talented Jefferson students!
Steps to take if your child would like to enter the competition:
- Help your child choose their favorite activity from the following arts categories: Photography; Dance Choreography; Visual Arts such as drawing or painting; Film Production; Music Composition; and Literature.
- Tie it into the theme "Within Reach." An example of how you might explain that to your child is to explain that we are often told "reach for the stars" or "reach of success." Get your child to think about what they would reach for.
- Download and follow the rules for the arts category chosen.
- Complete the entry form and turn in the art work at the school’s office by November 20, 2017 (deadline extended from original date of 11/15).
- The art work will be sent to judges. After judging, the winners will be notified. Their art work will advance to the Council (then possibly to the District/ New Jersey/ National PTA).
We will celebrate all artists who turn in art work for the Reflections competition at Jefferson, and a gallery will also showcase the works at the school. If you have any questions, please contact the Reflections chairperson, Sandra McBeth at SandraMcB@aol.com.
We look forward to enjoying the creativity of our very talented Jefferson students!