The fundamental purpose of the Special Services Department is to provide programs and services that are designed to support the intellectual, emotional and social growth of each child so that they may become contributing members of society in concert with the Roxbury School District Portrait of a Graduate. To achieve this purpose, the Special Services Department shall:
- Ensure that all students have available to them a free, appropriate public education which includes Special Education and/or related services.
- Encourage creativity and enthusiasm for learning while emphasizing mastery of basic skills.
- Create an environment that enables students to develop an understanding of the rights and opinions of others.
- Promote critical thinking, logical decision-making, and the development of personal responsibility.
- Focus on the recognition and utilization of personal strengths and the alleviation of weaknesses to aid the students in accepting themselves and establishing their roles in present and future family life.
- Provide guidance in career selection by encouraging students to examine and evaluate their attitudes, aptitudes, and abilities.